Saturday, April 10, 2010

Chipotle Deviled Eggs

I have a sordid history with deviled eggs. My sister used to make fun of me mercilessly (and in front of the neighbor boys) for the way I ate them. I am a firm believer that a deviled egg is a one-bite wonder. But my sister used to make me laugh while I was eating that one bite, which I’m sure I don’t have to tell you, wasn’t very pretty. But I’m an adult now, and more importantly, my sister lives 750 miles away, so I’m free to eat deviled eggs the way I want to. These are the deviled eggs from my childhood, with the more adult addition of chipotle to take them to the next level.


Eggs
Mayo
Dijon mustard
Chipotle in adobo sauce
Salt
Smoked paprika

I’m not giving amounts because this recipe can be made with any number of eggs and it’s really a matter of taste and texture to get you to the right proportions. I recommend tasting (with a clean spoon) throughout until it gets to where you like it.

Start by boiling your eggs. I’m loving the method I used in the potato salad recipe, it’s working really well. I’ll repost it here. Put the eggs in a pot and just cover them with cold water. Bring the water to a boil and let them boil for about one minute. Then remove them from the heat and let them sit, covered, for about 15 minutes. Then rinse them with cold water until they are cool and ready to peel.

Slice the eggs in half and put the yolks in a small bowl. They should pop right out. Put the whites on a plate. Break the yolks up with a fork before adding mayo. Some people like their filling to be super smooth, in which case you’ll need to use a processer. I personally like it a little more rustic, so I just stir with a fork. Add enough mayo to make the mixture creamy, but not so much that it tastes like mayo. I suggest starting with less than you think you’ll need and then adding until it gets to the right texture. For 18 eggs I put a little less than half a cup in. Add about a tablespoon of Dijon mustard. This won’t be a dominate taste, it just adds a little depth. Chop up the chipotle. I usually do 2 or three peppers. Keep in mind that it will get spicier as it rests. Add a few dashes of salt, to taste.

Next comes the messy part. I use a plastic bag with one corner cut off to pipe the filling into the egg whites. Just spoon the filling into the bag and use it as you would a frosting bag. When all the eggs are filled, sprinkle them with smoked paprika to give them a finished look. Refrigerate them before serving, and then enjoy them in one bite. Just don’t let anyone make you laugh.
(Click here for printable recipe)

1 comment:

  1. Can I laugh at you when I see you eat one? Hee, hee! :)

    ReplyDelete