Saturday, April 10, 2010

Lime Pie



This is a recipe my mom has made for years. I love limes and graham crackers so how could this possible go wrong? It doesn't. It is very limey and very good. This is a recipe my Mom got from my Grandma, and has been handed down to me. Or, maybe I stole it. Alas, this recipe has been around since I was a kid. When I went to visit my Grandma last summer in Illinois, I made this recipe from memory. Grandma thought the pie was too limey. Perhaps I overdid it on the lime zest. I thought the pie crust tasted funny. My Grandma is a big believer in keeping items in the freezer for a long, long time. So, I have a feeling the graham crackers were stale. So, lessons learned; don't over zest the lime filling and don't use stale graham crackers. Enjoy!

Pie Crust
1 2/3 cup Graham Cracker Crust
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup plus 2 tbsp melted butter

Combine graham cracker and sugar in a bowl and mix. Then stir in melted butter. Place in a pie plate and press firmly into plate. Bake the pie crust at 350 degrees for about 10-12 minutes. Then remove from oven and let cool. Proceed with making the filling and the meringue.

Lime Filling
3 egg yolks (keep the egg white in separate bowl)
1 14 oz can Sweetened Condensed Milk
1 tsp lime zest
1/2 cup fresh lime juice (about 3-4 limes)

Combing the above ingredients and stir well. Pour into Pie Plate.

Meringue
Stir well the 3 egg whites and add a teaspoon of cream of tarter and mix until fluffy then add about 3 tbsp sugar until stiff peaks form. Pour on top of filling.

Bake at 350 degrees for about 8-10 minutes until Meringue is a nice golden color.

After pie has cooled, place in refrigerator for about 3-6 hours until cold.

(Click here for printable recipe)

No comments:

Post a Comment