Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Reposted: Your Last Potato Salad Recipe

I'm reposting this recipe because, well, it's potato salad season. And also I've finally gotten my own photo. I also updated the ingredients slightly.

You know that saying, “As American as apple pie”? It’s total BS. I mean, come on. When was the last time you had a slice of apple pie? Might as well say, “As American as goat cheese.” Or “As American as Choco-tacos.” I say we should pick something else. Something we eat at every cookout. Something that screams Fourth of July with every bite. Something like potato salad. Say it to yourself. “As American as potato salad.” Makes sense right? Well it will, after you try this recipe.




Ingredients
4 pounds medium red-skinned potatoes, unpeeled, scrubbed
8 dill pickle spears, chopped (about 1 1/2 cups)
3 celery stalks, chopped (about 1 cup)
1 small red onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
4 hard-boiled eggs, peeled, chopped
2/3 cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoons minced fresh dill
Salt and pepper to taste


Probably the best way to start is by hardboiling the eggs. I hate boiling eggs because it should be so easy and it never is. Look up “the perfect boiled egg” online and you’ll find twenty different ways to do it. This is how I do it. There may be better ways out there, but this works for me. Put the eggs in a pot and just cover them with cold water. Bring the water to a boil and let them boil for about one minute. Then remove them from the heat and let them sit, covered, for 12-15 minutes. Then rinse them with cold water until they are cool and ready to peel.

While the eggs are boiling, you can also boil the potatoes. I’ve done this both ways and I think the best way is to boil them whole. If you cut them up first, they boil faster, but the skins tend to fall off. So, throw them in the pot with cold water and let them boil until they are fork tender. Then drain and let them cool before chopping them up. Make sure you have a sharp knife!

Put the chopped potatoes, eggs, celery, onion and pickles together into a large Tupperware container (for easy storage). I suggest mixing up the dressing separately so you are sure it’s fully combined. Then pour it over the potato mixture and stir carefully. I like to let it sit overnight before serving, but you can also serve it right away. Just make sure everything is fully cooled. I guarantee it will be a hit at your next cookout, and soon you’ll be saying, “As American as potato salad,” along with me.

(Click here for printable recipe)

2 comments:

  1. I have to say, you make awesome potato salad, but I think you prompted a future post for me, tentatively titled the Vengence of Apple Pie. I make a darn good apple pie. Coming to a dinner party near you...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I brought some home from the party on Saturday, and my Dad really liked them!

    ReplyDelete