Saturday, March 3, 2012

Cajun Spiced Chicken


It's now March. This time last year I had the flu for the first time ever in my life. It was rough. The only good thing that came out of it was I lost 5 pounds in a week. Yeah, that's how bad is having the flu. This time I expect to not get the flu, and work hard (on my own) to lose 5 pounds. So, I decided to try Gina's recipe (from Skinny Taste) for Cajun Spiced Flounder with Tomatoes. However, I didn't have fish, but decided to try it anyway with chicken. If you read some of the comments on her page, she specifies that if you use chicken to make sure you don't overcook it. Well, I kind of overcooked the chicken. But, it was still really tasty. Plus, my favorite part of this recipe is how easy it is to make it. I was skeptical about how good it would taste because there weren't very many ingredients. But, sometimes the lack of ingredients can really wow you. See my Quick Tomato Sauce recipe. Anyway, I think you will really enjoy this recipe. Enjoy!

Ingredients:
1 tsp olive oil
4 (6 oz) pieces flounder fillets (or any white fish such as tilapia) (I used chicken breasts)
3/4 cup onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
3/4 cup diced green bell pepper (I used chopped carrots)
2 1/2 cups tomatoes, chopped (I used one can of diced tomatoes since I was serving just myself)
1 tbsp Cajun spice seasoning
1 jalapeno, chopped finely (optional...this isn't part of the original recipe)

Set your stove to medium. Set a deep skillet on your stove, and add the olive oil. Once the olive oil has heated up; throw in your chopped onions and garlic. Once the onions are soft and translucent, add in the cajun spices, the peppers (or whichever vegetable you choose), the tomatoes, and a little salt and pepper. At this point, I decided to cook my chicken in another skillet with a little olive oil and salt/pepper. Sautee both sides for a couple minutes. Then add it to the skillet with the tomatoes. I served mine with Quinoa so you may want to start cooking your side around this time if not before. Let the chicken simmer for five minutes. I think I let mine simmer for about 10 minutes and that might have been why the chicken was a little over-done. I served my chicken along with the tomato mixture over a bed of quinoa. It really was delicious. Enjoy!


(Click here for printable recipe)

No comments:

Post a Comment