Sunday, March 18, 2012

Mango Sorbet

It's March. And, it's warm. This is unusual for this time of the year to be so warm. Not that I'm complaining. I'm from Florida after all, and even though I've lived here in Richmond for 19 years; I still haven't gotten used to the cold. So, I was really craving sorbet. I really wanted watermelon sorbet, but since watermelons aren't in season right now I had to choose something else. I had some frozen mango in my freezer that I had purchased from Trader Joe's. I decided to give mango sorbet a whirl. I found this recipe from Annie's Eats . But, it's actually a David Lebovitz recipe. I ended up purchasing his Perfect Scoop cookbook from amazon, because Annie's Eat highly recommended it. I'm sure you will see more recipes from his cookbook on this blog. Anyway, I thought the frozen mangoes did a good job. The recipe calls for fresh mangoes. The only thing is that it was rather sweet. I probably will cut back on the amount of sugar used next time I make this recipe. Enjoy!


Ingredients:
2 large, ripe mangoes (about 2 lbs.) (I used a large bag of frozen mangoes from trader joe's)
2/3 cup sugar
2/3 cup water
4 tsp. freshly squeezed lime juice
1 tbsp. dark rum (I used light rum)
Pinch of salt

If you are using fresh mangoes make sure you peel and pit the mangoes. Then dice them. Mix the mangoes, sugar, water, lime juice, salt, and rum in a blender. You may need to adjust the sugar, rum, or lime juice. Pour into a bowl, and cool thoroughly in the fridge. Pour into your ice cream mixer and follow your manufacturer's instructions. Then pour into an air-tight container to freeze.

A little tip that I never knew, according to David; adding a little bit of alcohol to the ice cream or sorbet mixture helps it to stay smooth and to keep ice crystals off of the sorbet. I highly recommend that cookbook. Interesting stuff!

(Click here for printable recipe)

No comments:

Post a Comment