Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Chamomile Cupcakes w/ Honey Glaze


So, the secret ingredient for our next Iron Chef is...honey!! I chose to make a dessert, and I have to say this one is a doozey. I've made 4 different recipes, and nothing is really making me go; wow! These cupcakes are the first recipe I tried. This recipe came out of my newest cookbook; Joy the Baker. I love her blog, and she published this beautiful cookbook. For $12; I highly recommend it. Mainly the recipes are yummy desserts, but she threw in a couple appetizer options, breakfast, and drinks. The best way to describe these cupcakes is; interesting. The chamomile tea leaves give the cupcake a bit of crunch, which was odd. I found that people either liked this recipe or didn't. I liked it, but it didn't make me go wow! So, it's onward to the next recipe for iron chef honey! Enjoy!

Ingredients for cupcake:
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, softened
1 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
pinch of salt
3 tablespoons dried chamomile (I got mine from tea bags)
1/2 cup milk (I used two percent)
1 large egg
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

To make the cupcakes, line 1 cupcake pan with liners. It really only makes enough batter for 12 cupcakes. Preheat your oven to 325 degrees.
In your standing mixture bowl; combine the flour, butter, sugar, baking powder and soda, salt, and chamomile. Stir for about 5 minutes until it becomes a sandy mixture. While that's beating; combine the milk, egg, and vanilla extract into a small bowl. Pour half the milk mixture into the flour mixture and stir to combine. Pour the remaining milk mixture into the bowl. Beat for 1 minute. Pour the batter using an ice cream scooper into the prepared cupcake pan. Bake in the oven for 17 to 20 minutes or until a toothpick (when inserted) comes out clean. Remove the cupcakes from the oven and let cool for 10 minutes. Onto the glaze...

Ingredients for Glaze:
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1 tablespoon honey
about 5 tablespoons heavy cream
pinch of salt

Take a medium sized bowl, and whisk together the honey, heavy cream powdered sugar, and salt. The glaze will be rather thick, so you may need to add additional heavy cream. Use a butter knife, or whatever makes it easy for you, spread the glaze on top of the cupcakes. Sprinkle with chamomile leaves. Enjoy!

(click here for printable recipe)

2 comments:

  1. very interesting!! what else have you tried?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to post the ones that I've tried and liked...next one will be a sesame cashew brittle. It's really good, but I remembered a certain someone saying they didn't like eating sticky/chewy things. Sooo...that one has been axed. Lol. :)

    ReplyDelete