Sunday, October 17, 2010

Spaghetti Soup


I really have no idea where this recipe came from. My original thought was that it came from my Aunt Cathy who lives in Illinois. But, perhaps, it's a recipe my mom has had for several years. I don't really have a story to go along with this one, either. Alas, it doesn't matter. This is the perfect recipe for trying to get rid of celery, spaghetti noodles, or getting rid of some of those green peppers growing in your garden. It's very easy to make. Really. And, it's very good.

Ingredients:
1 lb italian sausage (mild)
1 med onion, diced
1 green pepper, diced
1/2 c. chopped celery
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 14 oz can diced tomatoes
1 15 oz jar spaghetti sauce
6 c chicken broth
1 tsp italian seasoning
1 tbsp sugar
Salt and Pepper to taste

Preparation:
First thing I did was prepare the vegetables by chopping the onion, pepper, and celery. Next, I took a large sauce pan and began browning the sausage over medium heat. Once the sausage was browned, I added the minced garlic cloves, the chopped onions, pepper, and celery. Continue cooking until the vegetables become tender. Then, you add the diced tomatoes along with the juice, the spaghetti sauce (I found a 14 oz jar of Ragu Plain Sauce at Kroger's), the chicken broth, the italian seasoning, sugar, and salt and pepper to taste. Simmer for about 30 minutes. Then, add about 2-4 ounces of spaghetti and break it in half. Cook until the spaghetti is tender. Serve with bread.

(Click here for printable recipe)

No comments:

Post a Comment