Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Whole Wheat Chicken Pot Pie

When I came home from college, there was always one recipe I requested. After my freshman year, it became the recipe that magically appeared on the table without my having to say a thing, a recipe that became synonymous with good home cooking. Who doesn’t love a really good chicken pot pie?

Now, the chicken pot pie and I have had our quarrels. It usually wins, the crust refusing to harden in anywhere close to the expected time or the filling boiling over within my oven creating a mess and a lovely burning smell that always gets my attention. Now, I refuse to give in. The chicken pot pie will not defeat me. I’m just a better person than that.


Where Bisquick has failed me in the past (or perhaps I have failed Bisquick), I tried a new crust this time.

Ingredients: 
2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 Cup Whole Wheat Flour
1 Cup Milk
Frozen mixed veggies
2 Cans Cream of Chicken Soup

Cook the chicken and cut into small pieces. In a separate bowl, combine 1 cup whole wheat flour and milk (I used 1%). This will be for the top of the pie. Mix frozen veggies (the amount varies to taste here, I use a lot, more than half of the bag), chicken soup, and chopped up chicken. Pour mixture into pie pan. Cover with the flour and milk mix. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.

Now, it was seven minutes shy of 45 minutes when I smelled something burning. The chicken pot pie and its trickery had gotten the best of me again! Luckily, it wasn’t the pie itself. It was the filling which had bubbled over onto the bottom of the oven. Now, those among you who are shaking your heads, saying, ‘wait, she just said this was a point of failure that had happened before,’ you may have a point. However, I had been extra sensitive this time about the height of my filling against my pie dish. I was convinced there was room for it to bubble without the mess. However, of course, my chicken pot pie had an urge to defy me.


The dinner was good, though I think I would have doubled the size of the crust. It was thin, and I like a really thick flaking crust. I also ended up peppering the final product, which I should have done in the earlier mixing.

A few more tweaks, and I’m almost there. The chicken pot pie will not beat me forever.

-KSP


(Click here for printable recipe)

No comments:

Post a Comment