Sunday, May 5, 2013

Honey Lime Chicken Tacos with Pineapple Salsa

Today is Cinco de Mayo. No, I'm not Mexican, but I do love me some Mexican food. I especially love tacos. Our fellow blogger, Wormfood, loves herself some tacos, too. So much so that we've created a separate category called Taco to help easily find these yummy recipes. I was going to try her Jerk Chicken tacos in celebration of Cinco de Mayo, but didn't have all the ingredients on hand to make it the appropriate way. So, since I'm on this pineapple kick I decided to find a recipe that utilizes chicken, tacos, and pineapple salsa. I found this recipe from Elle's New England Kitchen. She saute's her chicken, but I decided to grill mine. I utilized this recipe on our blog to make the Pineapple Salsa, but just omitted the mango (they weren't quite ripe enough). This was a yummy recipe. I think I will even use the marinade just for regular ol' grilled chicken. Strawberry Mojitos and Tacos; can it get any better than this? Enjoy!



Ingredients for Chicken and Marinade:
1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast, sliced thinly crosswise
1/2 cup canola oil
juice of 2 limes
1 1/2 tsp adobo pepper
1 1/2 tsp ancho chile pepper (optional)
2 tsp cumin
2 pinches cinnamon
1 tsp onion powder
3/4 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp pepper
3 tbsp honey

Ingredients for Pineapple Salsa:
2 cups diced pineapple
1/4 c. diced red onion
1 jalapeno pepper, diced and seeded (if you don't like it spicy)
3 tbsp chopped cilantro
juice of one lime
dash of salt

For assembling:
Cilantro for garnish
Corn or Flour Tortillas

First make the pineapple salsa by combining all the above ingredients into a medium-sized bowl. Cover with a lid and refrigerate for an hour or so. Next, prepare your marinade by taking out a medium sized bowl. Then, add in the oil thru the honey into the bowl. Stir well. Pour the marinade into a large zip lock bag and add in the chicken. Coat well. Let marinate for an hour, or so, turning the bag occasionally. After an hour or so; let's get the grill ready. Once the temperature has reached 350 degrees; take out the chicken from the bag, and toss the marinade in the trash. Grill the chicken till it's cooked thru. Remove the chicken from the grill and set aside. Once the chicken is cool enough to handle; go ahead and slice it up. Next, take out a non-stick skillet and set the heat to medium. Place the tortilla on the skillet and let it heat thru for about 30 seconds or so. Flip the tortilla and let it heat thru for an additional 30 seconds. Remove from the skillet. I used 2 tortillas to make one taco. Then, spread a couple spoonfuls of the pineapple salsa along the tortilla. Add the chicken and additional cilantro if you so desire. I sprinkled some goat cheese on my tacos just because I can. Enjoy!

1 comment: