Friday, May 24, 2013

Korean Short Ribs

So, the Hubs and I were at the grocery store trying to find some short ribs for this awesome looking short rib chili nachos (which we WILL make eventually, have no fear.) Well, there were no traditional short ribs but the butcher offered up plate, aka flanken cut, short ribs instead. At first I thought we could use them in the same recipe, but the more I thought about it, I realized that this cut wouldn’t be that great in a long braise. So we decided to switch up our plans and make “Korean” short ribs. I found the recipe on a blog called Food People Want (true that.) I do hesitate to fully call these short ribs “Korean” because I’m pretty sure this isn’t an authentic Korean recipe, so I don’t want anyone to come after me for that. What it is, though, is absolutely delicious. And insanely easy. We marinated them overnight and grilled them for a few minutes, and then devoured them. The only complaint is that there weren’t more of them.


Ingredients
2 pounds flanken-style cut beef short ribs
1 cup apple juice
¼ cup soy sauce
½ small yellow onion, thinly sliced
5 to 6 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
1/2 tsp grated ginger
1 tsp Asian sesame oil
1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1 tsp rice vinegar
1-2 Tbsps brown sugar (to taste)

It’s pretty simple, just mix up the marinade ingredients and put them in a plastic baggie. I actually was super lazy and didn’t even cut up an onion or use real garlic. I just used about a teaspoon each of onion powder and garlic powder. In the future I’d do the real thing though. Momentary attack of laziness. Put your ribs in the baggie and marinate for one or two days. Then take them out of the marinade (toss the rest) and grill for just about 3 minutes on one side and 2 minutes on the other, depending on the thickness. Then devour! We were total animals and didn’t even use a knife. I think it tasted even better because I ate with my fingers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment