Monday, May 14, 2012

Simple Salmon Salad with Lemon Dijon Vinaigrette



Last week I marinated some salmon for dinner, not remembering that I would be eating alone that evening. I decided to make it all anyway, and since then I’ve had a couple cold salmon fillets staring at me every time I opened the fridge. I’m actually a pretty big fan of cold salmon. It’s not cold pizza, but it'll do in a pinch. I would have totally eaten them cold if I hadn’t been struck from the heavens with a wonderful idea. I put it on a salad.

It turned out fantastic, actually, as far as salads go. I admit I was a little afraid of the vinaigrette. Especially when I mixed it up and tasted it and it went KRA-KAW! in my mouth. But over the lettuce it wasn’t so strong, and it balanced all the flavors out quite nicely.

Ingredients
Your favorite lettuce (I used butter lettuce)
Fresh Basil
Leftover cold salmon, flaked
Thinly sliced red onions

2 Tbsps Olive Oil
Juice and zest from one lemon
1 Tbsp Dijon Mustard
Salt & Pepper to taste

Just to shake things up a little, I sliced my lettuce into strips. It makes it a little easier to eat, and I know it doesn’t really make it taste any different, but sometimes it seems like it. I also julienned the basil. Toss all the salad ingredients together first. Then mix the vinaigrette ingredients in a bowl and whisk until fully combined. I’ve also heard that you  could mix it in a canning jar and then just shake the jar, but whisking with a fork worked for me. Don’t dump the entire vinaigrette on the salad! First, just pour some of it over the salad and toss. Then see if you need more. I definitely didn’t need all of the dressing since it’s pretty strong. 

I think this dressing would be great with any salad toppings or meat. It has a great brightness and a lot of flavor. 


(Click for printable recipe)

No comments:

Post a Comment