Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Homemade Salsa

Salsa is one of those things I normally just buy. For one, I don’t eat it much outside of a Mexican restaurant. For another, tomatoes aren’t my favorite things in the world. But I’ve had some pretty tasty homemade salsas in my life (one made by my mom, another by fellow Dinner Club cook Emily), so when I saw a good-looking recipe on The Pioneer Woman Cooks, I decided to try it.

It turned out really delicious, fresh and bright. My version was a little spicy, but I did that on purpose and you can easily make yours more mild. And it was easy. So easy that it makes buying a jar of salsa at the store feel like hard work. I will warn you that this recipe makes a lot. I’d recommend cutting it in half, or making the whole thing and giving half away.


Ingredients
1 28 oz can whole tomatoes
2 10 oz cans Rotel tomatoes with green chiles*
½ cup chopped onion
2 cloves garlic
2 serrano chiles
Cilantro
¼ tsp sugar
¼ tsp salt
¼ tsp cumin
¼ tsp pepper
Juice of 1 lime

*These come in mild, original or hot. I used one original and one hot and it was pretty spicy. Use the combo that’s right for you.

I poured the tomatoes (juice and all) from all three cans into a large bowl. Then the onion, garlic and chiles. For the onion and chiles, you don’t need to chop them super small because you’ll be putting them in the food processor, but if you throw in too big of chunks they won’t process at the same rate as the tomatoes. I also added in a big handful of cilantro. Add as much or as little as you like. More is always better, in my opinion. Pulse this in batches in your food processor (it’s too much to fit all at once) to your desired consistency. I like mine a little more finely chopped, but you can leave yours chunky if you prefer. Once it’s all processed and back in the bowl, add the sugar, salt, cumin, pepper and lime juice. Mix thoroughly and then refrigerate for an hour. The longer you let it sit, the more the flavors will meld. Then serve with tortilla chips (scoops are the best) and a cerveza. 

(Click here for printable recipe)

3 comments:

  1. Ahhh...you made that recipe. I've been wanting to try her version of salsa. I must try now!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i have a giant batch at home. maybe i'll bring some on friday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes!! Please do. I'm sure it will hold up for a week at least! My mouth is watering just thinking about it. :)

    ReplyDelete