Monday, July 25, 2011

Creamy Parmesan Baked Eggs

During the week, I am not a breakfast person. Actually, let me be more accurate: I’m not a morning person. And breakfast is merely collateral damage. But on the weekends when I’ve been up for a few hours and have come to grips with the fact that I am awake, I start getting that urge for eggs. Usually I cook them up scrambled, or sunny side up with toast to dip in the yolks. But this weekend I had the urge to try something new. I saw this recipe for baked eggs on Shop Cook Make, and it stuck in my head. It looked so good and was so easy, it seemed like something I could make even while half asleep.


Ingredients
2 eggs
2 tbsp heavy cream
1 tbsp shredded parmesan (give or take)
½ tsp Italian Seasoning
Salt & Pepper to taste

Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. You’ll need a small (really small) baking dish like a ramekin. I got some for Christmas that I hadn’t used yet so I broke them out. Spray it with cooking spray. I missed this step and it wasn’t a huge deal, but I am sure it would make things easier. Crack two eggs into your ramekin, then add the cream. You don’t need to stir or anything, just pour the cream all over the eggs. Season with the herbs, salt and pepper. And then sprinkle parmesan cheese on top. It’s so easy it hardly seems like a recipe at all!

Cooking is where I got into a little trouble. It looks like the cooking times were based on a wider, shallower dish than my ramekin so I had to increase the time. Then I got worried that it would be underdone and ended up overdoing it. I think that 16 minutes might have been the perfect time, but probably anywhere between 14-20 and you’re good. The top should have a little wiggle to it, but not so much that it looks uncooked. Unfortunately I cooked mine completely and the yolks were hard, but it was still really tasty and I can see the potential for this to be truly amazing when cooked properly. And another benefit is that you don’t have to dirty a whole bunch of skillets or dishes, it all cooks in the ramekin. It just might change my mind about breakfast.


(Click here for the printable recipe)

No comments:

Post a Comment