Saturday, July 23, 2011

Easy Tomato Sauce

I haven't purchased a bottle of tomato sauce in probably over 6 months. The reason for this is that it's super easy to make your own. Plus, it's healthier, tastes better, and cheaper to make. I've been making a quicker version of this tomato sauce that uses canned diced tomatoes instead of fresh tomatoes. However, I recently came across this recipe that Annie posted on her blog.
It sounded like this tomato sauce recipe was extremely popular, and received raved reviews from commenters and bloggers alike. I was pretty positive I had all of the ingredients. Afterall, it only called for 4 ingredients (counting the salt). Well, I now understand what all the fuss was about. This tomato sauce has a very robust flavor, and it was super good. I hope that you give it a chance. Everyone in blogger-land was right. It's simple and very tasty. Enjoy.







Ingredients:
1 (28 oz.) can whole peeled tomatoes, with juices
1 onion, peeled and halved
5 tbsp. unsalted butter
Salt, to taste

Basically, all you do is take the first three ingredients and put them in your sauce pan. Bring to a simmer over medium heat, and let it simmer for about 45 minutes. Be sure to crush the tomatoes using a masher, or the back of a wooden spoon. I used a masher. Stir every once in a while. I definitely thought this sauce needed salt. So, I added to taste. Be sure to remove the onion once the sauce has simmered for the alloted time and the sauce meets your expectations seasoning-wise. I sprinkled some chopped basil on mine. Enjoy!

(Click here for the printable recipe)

No comments:

Post a Comment