Saturday, May 28, 2011

Watermelon Sorbet


You know it's summer when you start seeing buckets full of whole watermelons at your local grocery chains. Watermelons right now run about $2.99-$4.99 depending on which stores have them on sale. I bought a watermelon from Trader Joe's last weekend for $3.99. The best way to pick out a watermelon is to knock on the melon with your fist, and if it sounds hollow then you know you got a good melon. The other day I was perusing tastespotting's site and came across this watermelon sorbet recipe. Since, I knew I was going to buy an ice cream maker this weekend I went ahead and printed it. Plus, I already had the ingredients. Sur La Table gave me the incentive to buy an ice cream maker this weekend because they are giving away a $15 gift card with the purchase of one of their cusinarts. Fortunately, we have a Sur La Table at Stony Point Mall, so I didn't have to buy it online. After making my purchse yesterday, I put my ice cream thingy in the freezer so it would be ready today. It is so easy to make ice cream or sorbet. And, if you love watermelon you will love this sorbet. It reminded me of my watermelon daquiri I posted last year. Give this one a try if you have an ice cream maker. You won't regret it. Enjoy!

Ingredients:
3 cups seedless watermelon (diced)
2 cups water
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice ( I just used one lemon)

I cut this recipe down some, because I had way more left over than I needed. The original recipe calls for 4 cups watermelon and 3 cups water.


Take your water and sugar and pour into a small sauce pan. Bring to a boil and set aside to cool. Add your watermelon, cooled simple syrup, and lemon juice into a blender and puree. I then placed this into a bowl and put into an ice bath to cool the mixture quicker. Once it was cool, I put into my ice cream maker and let it mix for about 20 minutes until it thickened. I then put my sorbet into an airtight container, and chilled for a couple hours. It was very yummy!



(Click here for printable recipe)

No comments:

Post a Comment