Friday, January 28, 2011

Fudgy Sheet Cake


Ever since I was a little girl we were always given dessert after dinner. Basically, this has ruined me for life, because I always want something sweet after dinner. When you are trying to eat healthier after-dinner sweets isn't always a good idea. So, I thought why not make a healthier dessert. I looked through my cooking light cookbook trying to decide what dessert I would make and what ingredients I already had in my kitchen. I came across this chocolate sheet cake, and couldn't resist. I thought it came out pretty moist, and suprisingly had quite a bit of flavor. I gave a couple slices to my Dad who texted me the next day to say it was still very good. So, for a lighter dessert it was a very good choice. As an aside, I'm not sure why they call it Fudgy when to me it wasn't fudgy at all. It was more chocolaty. So, I would call it a Chocolate Sheet Cake...real original. Ha! Enjoy!

Cake:
1/2 c unsweetened cocoa
1/2 c boiling water
2 c sifted cake flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 c sugar
1/3 c vegetable shortening
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 large eggs
1 c low-fat buttermilk

Frosting:
3 c sifted powdered sugar
1/3 c unsweetened cocoa
1/4 c 1% low fat milk
2 tsp butter, softened
1 tsp vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
First thing I always do when I'm baking is gather together all my dry ingredients into a bowl and set aside. In this case; place your flour (sift it), baking soda, and salt into a bowl. Now, take a small bowl and pour the 1/2 cup boiling water with the 1/2 cup cocoa and let cool. Next, take your mixing bowl and pour the sugar, shortening, and vanilla into it and mix at medium speed until combined. Add eggs one at a time and make sure you beat till combined each time. Pour in cocoa mixture and beat well. Add flour mixture and buttermilk alternately to the sugar mixture. Make sure you end with the flour mixture. Beat well. Pour batter into a well-greased 13x9 baking pan. Bake for about 28-35 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Cool in pan for 10 minutes on a wire rack.

For the frosting, combine the sifted powdered sugar and 1/2 cup cocoa in a medium bowl stir well with a whisk. Add milk, butter, and 1 tsp vanilla. Stir with a whisk until smooth. Spread frosting over cooled cake.


(Click here for printable recipe)

1 comment:

  1. omg, my grandma used to make the best sheet cake (we called it "Texas Sheet Cake"). i'm definitely going to try yours!

    ReplyDelete