Monday, May 3, 2010

Mexican-style Chicken


Just in time for Cinco de Mayo! I’ve been eating low fat and healthy for almost three months now and the one thing I desperately miss is Mexican food. I think I’ve found the perfect solution. Or maybe I’ve been so deprived that I could eat a Chihuahua chimichanga and it’d still taste good. I made a “light” (sort of) version of this recipe, but you can use the real stuff and I’m sure it’d be even better. It makes a lot, so you may want to cut the ingredients in half if you don’t want a ton of leftovers.

2 10 ¾-oz cans condensed cream of chicken soup
1 10-oz can diced tomatoes with green chiles, undrained
¾ chopped green sweet pepper
½ cup chopped onion
1 ½ teaspoon chili powder
¼ teaspoon black pepper
12 6- or 7-inch corn tortillas, cut into thin, bite-size strips
3 cups cubed cooked chicken (about 1 lb. boneless chicken breasts )
1 8-oz pkag (2 cups) shredded cheddar cheese
Mix the soup, tomatoes with chiles, sweet pepper, onion, chili powder and black pepper. Now you have have to layer it all together. Sprinkle about 1/3 of the tortilla strips over the bottom of an ungreased 13x9x2-inch baking dish. Layer half of the cooked chicken over tortilla strips; thena about half of the soup mixture on top. Sprinkle half of the cheese (cheese makes everything better) and another 1/3 of the tortilla strips over the soup mixture. Layer with the rest of the chicken, soup mixture and tortilla strips.
Bake at 350 degrees for about 45 minutes or until bubbly around the edges. Add the rest of the cheese once you take it out. The recipe says to let it stand for 10 minutes, but I can never wait.

The next day I heated up a portion and rolled it into an extra corn tortilla for a type of enchilada. Delicioso!

(Click here for printable recipe)

No comments:

Post a Comment