Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Chocolate Brittle Surprise

This past December I was invited to a Christmas Cookie Exchange that alas never happened thanks to the first major Snowstorm that hit Virginia. I had decided on what I was going to bring for the Cookie Exchange went out and bought all the ingredients only to have it cancelled. Since I was snowed in I made it anyway. And, I made it again this past dreary March weekend. It is super yummy, and you won't be able to just eat one. You will end up eating about a hundred of them.

Sara Kuhs had originally suggested this to me at Volleyball one night, and I thought I would give it a go. However, I did make some adjustments to the original recipe to help "spice" it up a bit. I added peanut butter chips and milk chocolate chips instead of semi-sweet chocolate chips. I used about a cup of each if not more. And, I did use the chopped pecans. I tried using the soda crackers once, but they didn't do anything for me. However, I think the Saltines worked great. I used Low-Fat Saltine crackers to make myself feel a little better about eating this scrumptious snack.



35 unsalted soda crackers. I used about 3 sleeves of Saltine Crackers
1 cup butter
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 cup milk chocolate chips
1 cup peanut butter chips
1 cup chopped pecans (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C). Cover cookie sheet with foil. Spray foil with cooking oil spray.
Place crackers on foil in 5 x 7 inch rows.
Microwave butter on high for 2 minutes. Add brown sugar and stir. Microwave on high for 2 more minutes, stirring every 30 seconds.
Pour over crackers. Bake 17 - 20 minutes (should bubble but not burn). In my oven it only takes about 5-8 minutes before it becomes a nice golden brown color. So, keep an eye on them when first attempting this recipe.

Sprinkle chips and chopped pecans over hot crackers. Spread after 2 minutes (chips have softened). I did have to put the cookie sheet back in the oven for about a minute more so the rest of the chips would soften. I think this is because I put the one type of chips on first and then the second. By the time I get the second set of chips on; the crackers have cooled some. Maybe I am just slow or I could use a tip on how to better this process.
Refrigerate 1 hour. Break into pieces. Can be frozen.

I dare you to eat just one.



(Click here for printable recipe)

No comments:

Post a Comment