Monday, April 8, 2013

Lemon-Garlic Shrimp and Grits

One of my all time favorite meals growing up was Fried Fish and Grits. We had wonderful neighbors across the street who would go fishing, and bring my parents back some of the fish they caught. This made me so happy, because I knew my mother would be making that dish. Well, as an adult one of my favorite dinners is Shrimp and Grits. I remember the first time I had Shrimp and Grits. I was working at a golf course in Charleston, South Carolina. After a late day at the clubhouse; my co-workers and I went out to dinner at a local restaurant. Everything on the menu sounded delicious, but I decided to give Shrimp and Grits a try. I remember my first bite: I thought I had died and gone to heaven. It was so delicious. Now, I'm unsure why I've never tried making this at home until now. But, this recipe was easy to make and very good. I wouldn't say this is restaurant gourmet delicious, but it's a solid recipe and I urge you to give it a try. I mean a 5 star recipe on The Food Network has to mean something, right? Enjoy!

Ingredients:
3/4 cup instant grits (I used Quaker Oats Instant Grits)
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese (I omitted this step)
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 1/4 pounds medium shrimp, peeled and deveined, tails intact
2 large cloves garlic, minced
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
1/4 tsp Cajun season (optional)
Zest of a lemon (optional)
Juice of 1/2 lemon, plus wedges for serving
2 tablespoons roughly chopped fresh parsley

Follow the directions on the Quaker Instant Grits box. If you have parmesan cheese on hand add this at the end. I also added a tablespoon of butter once the grits finished cooking. Set aside and keep warm.

Pat dry the shrimp and season with salt and pepper. I also seasoned the shrimp with Cajun Seasoning and the Cayenne pepper.  Take out a non-stick skillet and add two tablespoons of butter. Set the burner to medium heat. Sprinkle in the lemon zest. Add the garlic and shrimp. Cook until the shrimp is pink about 4 to 5 minutes. Next, add in the lemon zest and parsley. Spoon the grits into a bowl and add in the shrimp with some of the juice. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment