Monday, April 15, 2013

Beef and Broccolini Hash


I’m generally an egg traditionalist. I like eggs for breakfast. I like them paired with the usual suspects (bacon, cheese, sausage). Outside of that, I pretty much only use eggs in baking. I’ve never been a big eggs for dinner person (although I used to make pre-basketball game omelets fairly often). And I don’t often pair it with unexpected ingredients. But after trying this Beef and Broccolini Hash, I might just change my tune. It was really flavorful, with crisp broccolini and the yolk kind of brought it all together. I found this recipe on Finger, Fork & Knife, but I made a few changes. I didn’t go on a hunt for coriander roots, which are pretty hard to find. I read that you can substitute cilantro, but ours had gone bad before I made this recipe, so we skipped it. When I make it again, I’ll definitely add it. Also, our beef was a tad chewy, being slightly overdone. I think that the order of the recipe was a little off, so I fixed it below. I also used tomato sauce instead of tomato chutney. It could have used a little more spice as well, so in the future I might choose a spicier pepper.



Ingredients
1.5 pounds flank, skirt, or flat iron steak, sliced very thinly
Juice of 1 lime
4 tbsp soy sauce
4 tbsp mirin
Peanut or Canola oil
2 tbsp tomato chutney – or tomato sauce
4 coriander roots, roughly chopped (or a handful of cilantro)
1 large red chili, sliced thinly
1 bunch broccolini, sliced into 2cm pieces
3 spring onions, sliced into 2cm pieces
2-4 eggs

Make sure you prep everything in advance because the cooking process happens very quickly. Mix together the tomato sauce (or chutney), soy sauce and mirin together in a small bowl. Set it aside, and heat your wok over high heat. Add just a little bit of your oil. Toss in the chili and coriander roots if you have them. If you are using cilantro, wait until later in the process (with the onions) to add it. Cook for about a minute. Next the original recipe wants you to add just the beef, but I think it would be good to add the broccolini and beef together. The broccolini needed just a touch more cooking, I thought. Cook this for about 2 minutes and then add in the sauce and the onions and cook for a minute or two more. Remove from heat and portion out onto plates.

In another small pan heat a little more oil and fry your eggs sunny-side up (set whites, runny yolk). Sprinkle a little salt and pepper on top. Carefully place one egg on top of each of your beef and broccolini servings. Squeeze some lime juice over top and add a little pinch of sea salt. The sauce is the most flavorful part so make sure to get plenty. I hope this changes your views on eggs as well! 

No comments:

Post a Comment