Thursday, April 25, 2013

Grilled Swordfish

Leave it to humans to be competitive enough to see a giant fish with a WEAPON attached to its face, and think, “Hmmm. I bet I could kill that and eat it.” I don’t know who was the first person on Earth to take on that challenge and prevail, but I have to admit that I’m pretty glad they did. Swordfish is a meaty fish. There’s a reason why they call it swordfish steak. But even though it’s really meaty, it also has a delicate flavor. It takes on marinades well, and I really love it with citrus. The few times we had it when I was a child, my mom just made it with lemon juice, salt and pepper and it was excellent. I found this simple lime-based marinade on The Stay at Home Chef and wanted to try it out. We only left our swordfish in the marinade for about 20 minutes, and I do wish we had gone the whole recommended hour. Even so, it was really good, it just could have imparted more flavor given a little more time. I served it with a great side of Spicy Corn Salad (you can get the recipe here) and it made a really delicious dinner that felt somewhat light, yet filling.


Ingredients
2 limes, juiced
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
¼ cup olive oil
1 tsp salt
¼ tsp pepper
½ tsp basil
½ tsp cayenne pepper (or more to taste)
2 swordfish fillets

Simply whisk all the marinade ingredients together and pour it into a Ziploc bag with your swordfish. Marinate it for an hour (don’t be impatient like me!). And then grill it! It should take about 5-7 minutes a side, depending on how thick your cut is. When it’s done, it should flake easily with a fork. And there you have it. Here’s hoping that you conquer the swordfish yourself someday soon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment