Friday, June 29, 2012

Pasta w/ Zucchini, Basil, and Goat Cheese

So, our next Iron Chef is tomorrow and the secret ingredient is Basil. I really love basil so I was excited to try out some recipes. I figured this recipe from Supernature  might be a hit because for one it has goat cheese and two, well, it has basil. I really enjoyed this pasta dish. I don't think it's an iron chef winner, but it is still a really great recipe for a weeknight dinner. It was very easy to make and different than your typical pasta dish. I hope you like it. I know I did! Enjoy!


Ingredients:
½ tsp dried chilli flakes, approximately
1 tsp sea salt
1 medium brown onion, peeled and finely diced
2 tbsp lemon juice                                                
2 large garlic cloves, finely diced
6 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
4 oz goat’s milk cheese, diced if soft, or grated if firm
.75 pound of dried pasta (any kind)
2 c green zucchini, ends trimmed
Freshly ground pepper
Freshly grated parmesan to serve
Handful fresh basil leaves, torn

Grate zucchini on a grater with the large holes side. Then, take a heavy pan and pour in the olive oil and cook the onion, garlic, half the basil leaves, red chili peppers, salt, and pepper.  Now, cook for about 2 to 3 minutes over medium heat. At this point, get your pot of water boiling and add in the pasta. Add in the zucchini and cook for about 5 to 8 minutes. Supernature's tip about not cooking the zucchini for too long was certainly accurate, because the green definitely disappeared from the zucchini. I added the lemon juice next (as is recommended) but I wish I hadn't. Next time I make this I will not add the lemon juice. If necessary, add in additional salt and pepper. Drain the pasta once it's al dente. Add the pasta to the zucchini mixture and toss. Spoon the pasta mixture into bowls and top with goat cheese and more basil if desired. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment