Sunday, March 17, 2013

Fried Plantains

I love cuban food. It's probably a result of growing up in Tampa, Florida. But, I'll take plantains, cuban sandwiches, black beans, yellow rice, Picadillo, etc any day of the week. Unfortunately, I can't always get Cuban Sandwiches (well, the real deal) unless I go to Florida. But, I can get plantains at the grocery store (when they're in season) any day of the week. Recently, Kroger had some plantains for sale. They were that nice dark color that usually indicates a ripe plantain. Trust me you don't want green plantains that's when you know they're not ripe. Try to find dark brown to even black plantains. They're the best. This is a really simple recipe and the result is delicious. Enjoy!


Ingredients:
1 plantain (dark in color)
1/2 cup vegetable oil
Salt

Simply remove the peel off the plantain. You can slice the plantain however you want. I sliced it down the middle once and then turned it over and sliced it length-wise again. Then, I cut it in half. Take a medium-sized skillet and add in your oil. You may add in more oil if needed. Let the oil heat up over medium-high. Sprinkle some water over the oil and when it sizzles you know it's ready. Add in the plantains and cook for a couple minutes on each side. Once cooked thru remove from the oil and place on paper towels. Sprinkle with sea salt or kosher. Serve warm and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment