Sunday, July 8, 2012

Iron Chef Basil: Chicken in Basil Cream Sauce

Yes, I'm a competitive person. Yes, I like to win. Yes, I'm disappointed.  I really thought I had a chance with this Iron Chef, because this dish is really delicious. I also really love basil, so I was very excited to try some recipes. Eh. I didn't win. I think it was partly because everyone was very full with all the courses that came prior to mine. Maybe if the dishes weren't so filling I might have had a better chance. But, with a refreshing dessert and a drink that started out everything; I didn't have a chance. No matter. I will continue to make this recipe. I love the combination of sun-dried tomatoes, cream, and basil. I'm glad I found The Girl Who Ate Everything's blog, because I've tried other recipes of hers and they've all been great. Here's to the next Iron Chef. Enjoy.

Ingredients:
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup dried Italian bread crumbs
4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
3 tablespoons butter
1 clove garlic (1/2 teaspoon minced)
1/2 cup chicken broth
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
1/8 teaspoon black pepper

Grab a shallow bowl and pour in the milk. Then, take a medium-sized plate and pour the bread crumbs onto it. If your chicken breasts aren't thin; wrap them in plastic wrap and pound with a meat tenderizer till they are about 1/4 inch thick. Take the chicken and dunk both sides in the milk and then cover the chicken with the bread crumbs. Take your skillet and add in the butter. Set the stove to medium. Cook the chicken on both sides until the juices run clear. I believe it took my chicken 8 to 10 minutes to cook. Set aside the chicken and keep warm. I cleaned out my skillet a bit with a paper towel. Add another tablespoon of butter and cook the garlic for a minute. Add in the chicken broth and stir. Bring to a boil and stir any of the browned bits that may reside in the pan. Next, stir in the heavy cream and the sun-dried tomatoes. Boil and stir for a couple minutes. Reduce heat and add in the basil, Parmesan, and pepper. If you want a thicker sauce cook a bit longer; say 5 minutes. Pour sauce over the chicken and serve. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment