Monday, August 8, 2011

Triple Berry Pie

Something about topping a pie with a lattice crust makes any baking creation more impressive than it actually is, don’t you think? I tend to top a lot of my pies this way, and then I get to bask in the glory of the “You made that?” and “Wow, I had no idea you were such a brilliant cook” comments when I show up with fresh pie in hand. (Well, perhaps that second comment isn’t said aloud, but I bet it’s what folks are thinking. I’m sure of it.)

I’ve had the chance to make a number of pies this summer for one occasion or another, and this past weekend, I figured I’d stray away from my classic apple pie for something more summery. Served with a scoop of ice-cream, this new recipe was a definite success.




Ingredients: 1 lb. strawberries (cut), 1 lb. blackberries, 1 lb. blueberries, Pillsbury pre-made pie crusts – found in your grocery’s refrigerator section in packages of 2, 1 cup granulated sugar, 3 tbsp. cornstarch, 2 tbsp. quick-cooking tapioca, 1/4 tsp. salt

Directions: Unroll one pie crust into base of pie pan. After washing berries and cutting strawberries, toss in a large bowl with sugar, cornstarch, tapioca, and salt. Mix well. Dump in pie crust. Slice remaining pie crust into 1 inch thick strips. Just like you were weaving a basket or showing off your skills in an elementary school art class, weave top crust in an under-over pattern, pinching edges together. For a more detailed how-to for a lattice top, click here.

Bake at 450 degrees for 15 minutes and then 45 more minutes at 375 degrees. Let the pie cool, letting the juices thicken, before serving.


Conversation point of this recipe: Do you know the difference between a pie and a cobbler? There was a lot of talk about what this was when it came out of the oven. Arguments were made that the lattice pattern made it a pie, while others thought that didn’t make sense. The true answer here is that a pie has crust on the top and bottom. A cobbler only has crust or breading on the top.

Happy cooking!

KSP


(click here for printable recipe)

No comments:

Post a Comment