Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Guacamole

I know, I know, everyone has a guacamole recipe. But let me tell you a little story about why you should try this one. My brother is a really good chef. Like works in a restaurant…creates his own recipes…that kind of chef. And he’s pretty snooty about it. When I recently made a potato salad, he daintily sniffed a bite, looked at me with disdain and asked, “Is this fresh dill?” (It wasn’t.) He repeatedly turns his nose up at almost everything I make.

My guacamole… he requests. Every single time I come home he wants me to make it, and then he eats the majority of it himself. He even put a version of it on his menu. I feel like that’s both the best compliment he could give, and the best endorsement of how good this guac is. It’s so simple, relatively healthy, and easy to remember. It’s also massively customizable. I can make it without a recipe, but for you, because I like you, I’ll write it down.


Ingredients
Avocados (5)
Limes (2), juice
Jalapeno or Serrano peppers (2), chopped small
Small onion, chopped
Garlic, pressed or minced
Cilantro
Olive oil
Salt
Pepper

So, you’ll notice that I haven’t given you very many measurements. That’s because this is what I’d like to call a tasting recipe. You mix it up, and taste it and make adjustments. Taste the pepper before you add it and decide how much heat you want. Just remember that you can’t adjust down, so put in less than you think and taste it before adding more.

I always start with the avocados, one of the most fun fruits (yes, they are fruit) to cut up. The best way is to slice it long ways all the way around, then CAREFULLY swing the knife into the pit and twist it slowly. This is the easiest way to get the pit out without destroying the avocado. Sorry I don’t have a picture of that to help the description, but maybe I’ll take it later and repost. Scoop the fruit out of the peel with a big spoon and put it in a large bowl.

If you have a citrus press, usually 1 ½ limes is enough. If not, use two. An cool way to get out more of the juice is to stick a fork into the fruit while you squeeze. Pour the lime juice over the avocados. Add in your chopped onion, pepper, and garlic. Then take a small handful of cilantro, chop that up and put it in as well. Add the olive oil. I usually just pour it in without measuring but it’s probably around ¼ cup. Put in about a teaspoon of salt and a ½ teaspoon of fresh cracked pepper to start and then mash it all up with a potato masher. You can leave it chunkier if you like, or mash it completely if you prefer. I like mine somewhere in the middle.

Now, taste it (with tortilla chips, since they add salt) and see if you need more salt and pepper, or more lime, or more heat. If you like yours with tomatoes, throw some in. Make it yours. Then, you’ll have your own guacamole recipe too. 

(Click here for printable recipe)

No comments:

Post a Comment