Monday, April 30, 2012

Chicken Souvlaki with Tzatziki Sauce


Whenever my husband and I visit his hometown of Milwaukee, there is one thing that I really look forward to eating. And surprisingly, it’s not fried cheese curds. It’s a gyro. Seems strange, I know, but for some reason they’ve really mastered the gyro in Wisconsin. On the last trip, I had two in one day! So, I decided I should really learn to make my own so I don’t have to go all the way to Milwaukee to get a fix. I made it with chicken instead of lamb, though, so I guess I will still have to get the real deal whenever we’re in town.

I found this recipe on Tasty Kitchen’s blog and it’s pretty simple. I don’t normally like recipes that call for a specific spice mix (that’s not a recipe, that’s shopping) but I’ll make an exception for this one because the chicken turned out so tasty. And the tzatziki is fresh and delicious. My husband even threatened to eat it by the spoonful.


 Chicken Souvlaki
4 Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast
4 teaspoons Cavender's Greek Seasoning
4 Tablespoons Olive Oil

Tzatziki Sauce
12 ounces Greek Yogurt
1 whole Cucumber, Chopped
½ Yellow Onion, Chopped
2 teaspoons Lemon Juice
Salt & Pepper to taste

You want to marinate the chicken for a long time, so start it either the night before, or in the morning. Put the oil and the seasoning in a plastic baggie and make sure it’s well mixed. Cut the chicken into bite sized pieces and add them to the bag. Refrigerate until you’re ready to cook. We broiled ours for about 10-12 minutes.

For the tzatziki sauce, make sure to chop your cucumber and onion as small as you can (unless you prefer lumpy tzatziki). Then just mix all the ingredients together—voila! Tzatziki is easy, tasty, and it’s actually pretty healthy too. This recipe makes a ton of it, too. You can eat the leftovers with pita chips or just cut the recipe in half.


We served our chicken in pita pockets with a sprinkling of feta and red onion. I wish that I could find better quality pita bread, though. I recommend baking your own if you have the time and inclination (here’s a great recipe!). 

(click here for printable recipe)

No comments:

Post a Comment