Thursday, July 12, 2012

Spicy Corn Salad

Side dishes are the orphaned children of the kitchen. The supporting cast that never gets acknowledged. The main is the star, and usually gets all of our focus. By the time we get around to thinking about what to serve alongside the lead act, it’s too late, or we’re too tired to do more than put a bag of frozen veggies in the microwave, or heat up a packet of chicken-flavored rice. Side dishes totally get the shaft, and so lately I’ve been trying to do them a little more justice. This Spicy Corn Salad is a variation of a recipe I found on Macaroni and Cheesecake (blech! Sorry, but that’s an unappetizing name for a food blog. Just sayin’.). I added red onion and a chili pepper, and it really added to the flavors. We liked it so much that we even saved the leftovers and ate them again! I know that’s what leftovers are for, but we don’t always go back for them. It’s great when it’s warm, and I also enjoyed it cold the next day. Spicy, fresh and full of great corn flavor, it definitely takes center stage.


Ingredients
4 ears of corn
1 ½ Tbsp olive oil
Salt & Pepper
2 Tbsp cilantro, chopped
1/4 cup red onion, diced
1/2 Tbsp mayo
1 Tbsp sour cream
Juice of 1/2 lime
3 Tbsp shredded Parmesan
¼ Tsp ground cayenne pepper
1 Chili pepper, minced

First, cut your corn off the cob carefully. Don’t get any cob in there. Don’t get any finger in there either. Also try to get as much silk off the corn as possible, because it won’t be pleasant to eat later. Put the corn in a small bowl and add olive oil, salt & pepper and stir. Spread the corn out on a baking sheet and roast for about 15 minutes at 400 degrees. It’ll be nice and golden and corny.

When it’s done, add the corn to a medium bowl and then just throw all the other ingredients in there and stir! I used a habanero because that’s what I had laying around. I also felt the pain of habanero oil on my fingers for like, a day and a half. So be careful when you cut your chili. I also didn’t have sour cream. I think that would have added a little extra bit of goodness.  

No comments:

Post a Comment