Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Peanut Butter Pie (for Mikey)


The other day I went to tastespotting's website, and noticed something odd. There were about 10 different pictures with this same peanut butter pie recipe. I thought to myself; hmm, that's odd. I've never seen several pictures of the same recipe on this website. So, I clicked on one of the pictures, and that's when I realized what it was all about. Recently, a woman, Jennie, who blogs about food suffered a devastating loss. Her husband of 16 years past away from a sudden heart-attack. She asked in her blog that everyone tell their family, spouse, children, etc that you love them. And, for those who asked; to please make this pie in honor of her late husband. It was a touching tribute and a beautifully written letter that I found myself wanting to create this pie in honor of her husband. I hope you make this pie, too. And, when you do; be sure to tell your family that you love them. Enjoy.

Ingredients:
8 oz chocolate cookies (I used chocolate graham crackers)
1 stick plus 2 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
4 oz semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/4 c chopped peanuts
1 c heavy cream
8 oz cream cheese
1 c creamy peanut butter
1 c confectioner's sugar
1 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp fresh lemon juice (I omitted this step)

I used 2 packages of chocolate graham crackers, and added them to my food processor. Pulse on high till the crackers are a fine crumb. Add in your butter and pulse until combined. Pour into your pie dish, and press into the dish. Place in fridge.

Next, take your chocolate and melt in a double boiler. I just melted it in my saucepan directly on the stove. I just made sure to watch it so that it didn't burn. Chop your peanuts. Take your pie dish out of the fridge, and pour the chocolate on top of it. Spread evenly across the crust. Sprinkle your chopped peanuts on top of the chocolate. Place back in fridge

Take your heavy cream and pour in your standing mixture. Mix on medium speed until it forms stiff peaks. Pour into a small bowl, and place in the fridge.


Clean out your mixing bowl. Place back on your standing mixture, and add your cream cheese and peanut butter. Mix until light and fluffy. Add your powdered sugar, sweetened condensed milk, vanilla, lemon juice (optional) and beat on medium speed until ingredients are combined.

Next, stir in 1/3 of the whipped cream mixture into your creamy mixture. Fold in the remaining whipped cream. Pour the filling onto your pie crust. Sprinkle some peanuts and chocolate chips on top if you so desire. Refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight. If you don't refrigerate for 4 hours or more; your pie will come out looking like this:

Still good, but messy! Enjoy!

(click here for printable recipe)

No comments:

Post a Comment